Roughly 50,000 inmates at federal prisons meet criteria for release to home confinement based on guidelines in the CARES Act, and the Department of Justice Bureau of Prisons has largely failed to act, according to those who work with the incarcerated.
Amy Ralston Povah is a federal inmate-turned-advocate who was granted clemency during the Clinton administration following a nonviolent drug offense conviction. After being released, she started the CAN-DO Foundation, to bring Clemency for All Nonviolent Drug Offenders. She now assists inmates who meet the Barr guidance with getting their names on candidate lists and spouted off a handful of names of people in their 70s and 80s, who she said were told they fit the criteria and would be released in mid to late April.
“No sooner do we get excited than it seems to be this boomerang, where they’re slow-playing it well after the 14-day quarantine that was the contingent. Now, the quarantine is they’re going to keep people until May 18. That’s for everyone,” said Povah. “It just seems now they’re getting played. Nothing is moving,” she said. “Some … people had their home confinement plan approved and were on a list, and it was imminent,” but nothing happened.
Povah said other inmates are being released but had already been slated for early release, while some inmates are telling her they cannot find a list to get on.
Read the entire story here